I have medical bills after a car accident: How do I report them to an insurance company?

Motor vehicle accidents are stressful situations.

The expenses that are usually the most pressing after an accident are medical costs and if you have sustained injuries in an accident, it can be difficult to determine who pays your medical bills.

Your medical care expense in relation to the accident, whether you have insurance coverage or not, are your responsibility.  However, the following is a guideline regarding the basic pattern of payment responsibility when insurance is involved:

5 things you need to get before leaving the scene of the accident


The first form of payment for car accident injuries typically involves a deductible paid for by the injured party to their auto insurance. Ambulances, hospitals and doctor’s offices may not require an upfront payment of deductible immediately, but injured parties will ultimately have to pay this amount until responsibility has been determined.

Auto Insurance.

Auto insurance carriers are the first in line to make payment after deductibles, so they must be notified immediately. In most states, Personal Injury Coverage or PIP is required. The amount of coverage can vary greatly and by state, but these limits must be exhausted first before any health insurance comes into play.

Health Insurance.

If you have health insurance coverage, your health insurer will pay for your medical bills in relation to the car accident. But coverage from a health insurance carrier typically comes into play after other forms of coverage have reached their limit.

Medicare and Medicaid.

If you are on Medicare or Medicaid when you are injured in an auto accident, these entities, like health insurance are payers of last resort.

Workers’ Compensation.

If you are in a motor vehicle accident causing injuries while on the job, even if the accident was your fault, you may collect workers’ compensation benefits including medical payments for injuries sustained. Under the rules of most states, you need to establish that you were injured and that you were on the job when it occurred.

Lien Care.

If you have a case evaluated by a personal injury attorney they may be able to arrange for your care to be provided on a lien with the medical provider, with the medical provider paid out of the proceeds of the settlement of your case.

With many different parties involved and different types of coverage coming into play, it’s always best to seek the counsel of a trusted, experienced legal professional to help guide you through the process after an accident where you have sustained injuries and incurred medical costs.

Hinman Law Group is experienced in dealing with insurance companies and helping their clients receive just compensation for their injuries and medical bills.

Call (877)462-9732 for a FREE consultation with our attorneys.